Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
What To Soap for Beginners?
Nov 29, 2006 by Rictor

So I'm a beginner soaper and was wondering what is recommended for me to learn how to balance and start soaping.
Replies

Nov 29, 2006DeanSoaper

PVC pipe, its what I use, I have a good 8-10 ft. piece, I use it in my basement, and right now, and recently, if I dont go out and Soap, I bring the pipe in my room and practice. So far I have been practicing my farfs, ufos, cab drivers, unitys, and royales, I Soap for hours a time in my room especially at like 12-2 in the morning.

-Corey

Nov 29, 2006Rictor

sweet, thanks for the recommendation, know how much that stuff costs? Maybe i'll go to Home Depot in the next couple days and pick up a ...Pvc pipe (just thought How I was going to fit a 10 ft. Pvc pipe in my car) What do you use to keep it sturdy while you soap it?

Nov 29, 2006Rictor

^they come in different thinkness aswell, right, what would you recommend. I want to know everything before I go there, and come back without a pole to get a question answered, that 1 less day of practice.

Nov 29, 2006SapAuthor

Alrighty, first off, yes, PVC pipe is the way to go. You can use 2 or 3 inch (don't know about thickness, they very in diameter). 2 inch is cheaper, still grindable, 3 inch is larger and a little more sturdy if you ask me (if you have braodsides, then go with 2 inch because 3 inch is too wide for the small mid sole plate).

They cost about 8 for the 2 inch, 12 for the 3.

As for grinding first, i would work on balance, if you want to do tricks, i ordered them on my site's trictionary (found under "What are SOAPs"), www.sonicandpals.com/soaps/index.swf

Happy SOAPing! You can also apply for SSS super sonic soaper group. If you got ur SOAPs elsewhere other than from the site, then you need to complete 6 easy goals which you can see under the "What is SSS" and the how to join tab thingy. There are video tutorials for the 6 goals to help you out.

Nov 30, 2006qnzwarrior

also bending your legs and putting your hand up help stay on the rail longer and bending that if you move them it will help you do tricks alot better

Nov 30, 2006Rictor

any recommended thing outside to practice on, or do I just have try hand rails until I don't fall on my butt?

Nov 30, 2006DeanSoaper

if you can get your hands on a practice rail, one that lets you adjust height, so you can go low, high, or slanted, but I dont got money for that, but got the PVC from my basement, and got wood so im gonna make a box.

Dec 1, 2006shdook

just go 2 valu er homedepot or somthin i bought 10 feet at valu for 6 bucks you can also use a rail from a shelf if ya have one layin around thats what i use. a great way to elevate it is to tape it to a table and set the table on a slant from a couch or just about anything high enogh

Dec 2, 2006Rictor

I think I'm going to check out 3" PVC pipes this weekend, I've got size 13 Cleans with BBK plates. I hope the store clerks don't get confused when I take my shoe off and see how it slides across it.

Dec 5, 2006Rictor

Wow, I just looked at PVC pipes today and 2" looks almost too big. I saw the 1.5" and that looks like the size of the thickest rail I could ever find. They were like $5 at Home Depot in the Plumbing section. Any reason why you guys recommeneded 2" and 3" ones, those are way bigger than anything you could actually grind in public, unless they're way better for practice.

I think I might get a 10" 1.5" Pipe sometimes, unless it's highly unrecommened, why such a wide pipe?

Dec 5, 2006Rictor

question 2: I read in another thread someone asking about how to start soaping and someone mensioned a "hand-plant" or something like that, anyone know what that is and where I could see a picture or how it's performed?

Dec 5, 2006mnsoaperns

Another suggestion is if your just beginning get a friend to go out with you and scope some railings and to practice grinding down handrails if your scared try handing up/holding onto something then letting go and just sliding down so you can get the feel for it after you feel comfortable try jumping on untill you get it. try and grind everything on your daily routine, benches, curbs, small fencing on your neighbors house :) if you are good enough grind some hand rails your comfortable with, PVC is a good starter I guess but also try and Scope out rails that are left abandoned (any kind you'd be surprised how many there are) I got my Practice rail about 6' from a school I was walking by and this glorious thick rail was just lieng on the ground me and a friend picked it up and went my friend (known as SPSR on these boards) got his PR which is about 15' from an abandoned rail on a baseball field its thick and perfect for practicing and setting it up on something for varying steepness of inclines and heights to practice jumps, or dangerous activities like putting the starting point in a tree with no supports and grinding down. anyway good luck and good to see another person soap.

Dec 5, 2006Rictor

^I drive so I don't ussually walk around finding things to grind, unless at the College I'm attending but many of the rails there are square, which I don't know if they are grindable (they're like, stock metal, if anyone ever took metal shop). I tried grinding a bench once (it's one of those weird plastic kind) and I couldn't get my back leg up enough to get the plate on, so I didn't slide much, more like twisted my back leg. Only other problem is that I'm the only person I know that has Soaps, so either I try Soaping something and look like an idiot or not Soap at all, until somehow I get good.

Dec 6, 2006Jard39

i know what u meanits better to look stupid just make shure u have fun if its boring then noone will want to start

Dec 8, 2006Rictor

anyone try using a 1.5" because 2" and 3" looks way too big, but would you actualy recommened 3"?
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Jordan Thompson hittin a Frontside
Dario Nieva hittin a Fastslide
Herr Blunt hittin a Frontside
Derek Brooks hittin a Alley-opp Mizuo on the new Broadsides
Derek Brooks hittin a Mizuo