Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Rave, Torch, or Grail?
Nov 24, 2006 by rkrdw93

Which is best?
Replies

Nov 24, 2006SapAuthor

do you really want the wheels? We do sell SOAP express shoes, none wheeled, more comfertable. Same plate as them, for much less. what size are you?

Nov 24, 2006rkrdw93

I'm a size 6/7.. I think I can fit into both... I'm trying to find shoes with a durable grind plate, and high ABEC wheels.. any suggestions? or links.. thanks

Nov 24, 2006SapAuthor

If you want the wheels, then yeah, heelys is where to go. Can't say i'm a pro at them though. I would say go with the Grail, it has a plate better for tweaking and tricks, although not as much of a lock on, so you'll have a harder time at first until you wear a groove in them.

Nov 24, 2006rkrdw93

what do you think about the heelys torch? The wheels are pretty good, and what's with the whole thing with the express? What is that? so its either torch or grail, which one>?

Nov 24, 2006SapAuthor

Express are a style of SOAP shoes. There are also express plates (which are the ones with the "V" shaped channel lock). Express plates are good for lock on. The grail's have a different plate that has more to grind on, more slanted edges for better tweak. Only problem is they don't have a good lock on like the express plate.

Your choice, torch have express plates, so u'll have good lock on but not much else. Grails have less lock on, but more ability to do better tricks.

Nov 24, 2006rkrdw93

thanks so much. one more question.. what's lock on?

Nov 25, 2006Kru

Lock on is when you go onto a ledge or rail the plate doesn't wonder all over the plate it "locks" in the groove in the grind plate.

I have to say though that heelys are really uncomfortable shoes and I express this deeply.. I changed the inserts in mine and it helps a little but how my foot fits in them is bleh. Heelys with plates are actually more or less New-gen soaps with a wheel and H logos( isn't this what the guy who invented them wanted in the first place? Soaps with wheels.. got his wish.. *vomits*). They would sit alot better on the feet without the chunk of sole missing.

If I could do it again I'd not bought these torches and just waited for the right pair of Soaps to come alone

Nov 25, 2006rkrdw93

so you're saying soaps are better than heelys with noth a wheel and a grind plate? hm.

Nov 25, 2006AnthoFlex

Yea man, of course....I mean, how old are you? Heelys are for Kiddies, not to mention landing from a grind with those wheels is extremely dangerous....I mean, on Inline its safer cause its 4 wheels on each Shoe.....But with Heelys, you have to land a certain way....You can get seriously hurt! i mean, snap your fucking ankle or sumthing

Nov 25, 2006rkrdw93

oh.. *sigh* ok.. so the one you recommended (regular soaps) are the express? I think the scab looks pretty decent.. Anyone lknow where I can get the old kind of soaps, with the detachable metal plate?

Nov 25, 2006rkrdw93

Which soaps are good? Any suggested ones, I mean ones that are durable, and the plates won't rip up, are smooth, light, and good to grind curbs with?

Nov 25, 2006AnthoFlex

Im going to ask again....What size are you?

Nov 25, 2006rkrdw93

look at the top. Regularly, I'm a 6/7, more to 7

Nov 25, 2006rkrdw93

Is it true the grind plates on the express can't last on curbs and benches?

Nov 25, 2006Kru

Actually if you really want heelys I'd get the torches.. despite the fact I dislike them on the inverted contrast the MEGA wheels are super fast and you can always just put the plugs in the hole to have regular shoes. The heeling thing gets kinda boring though because the posture is so.. weird.

Actually express plates do great on benches but concrete thats raw or bare or not smooth it will eat them um. Anything thats raw stay away from. You can hit painted curbs no prob. The way I see it.. if its shiny you can probably grind it with the express.

Nov 25, 2006Surfaced

rkrdw, the Express plate will last a fair amount of time if you are grinding ledges and rails like most other plates, however curbs kill all plates (with exception to the Curb Buster) very quickly. When I say a fair amount of time, I mean a solid year, and when I say very quickly, I mean about 2 weeks.

Nov 25, 2006Surfaced

Also, rkrdw, I will warn you, the majority of us here are at SG are, to say the least, slightly biased towards Soap shoes. Heelys are still nice, and if they were originally what you wanted, I say go for it. I too would recommend the Torch, it is easily found and durable.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside
Mike Dean hittin a UFO at the skatepark
Alexei Tajzler of DEOS hittin another Alley-Opp CG in Greenville, Delaware
Mike Burke hittin a Sportin his Boltars
Wyatt Peterson hitting a fastslide on the practice rail