Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Why did you start soaping?
Oct 23, 2006 by spartykus

Hey, just wondering why you dudes (and lady-dudes) started saoping in the first place...
im going to start cos i want a sense of freedom, i hate all these rules and laws we gotta live by. life is too short for all that crap! i want to have the feeling that every time i woke up in the morning and walked out of my door that it feels like the world is my playground! so whats ur story...?

P.S: i aint started soaping yet but i used to skate and rollerblade. the streets are really crap where i come from so i want to get off the ground and onto the rails... lol. im getting my first pair in a couple of months... CANT WAIT!!!
Replies

Oct 23, 2006SPSR

i saw soaping on Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast, my friend bought some blue scorchers a little later (scorcher is the model of shoe sonic wears in the game.) after seeing him with some scorchers and not using them only buying them because the were the same as sonics but then not using them bothered me a little but it was understandable as he was not very "athletic".

A few years latter i remember soap shoes, and went to look for some i only found the heelys evolutions so i buy a pair for me, a different friend buys a pair and i get another friend to get a pair (by spoting him the 90$ to get them at the time.) later i grab some scorchers on ebay. thats where i currently am.

Oct 23, 2006Jard39

Actually for me it was a topic of class discussion (in music actually). Then when i went home that day i asked my brother for his old pair and after i saw how fun they were i looked for and bought my ordances. But now its winter so ill probably pack up the SOAPs for the winter. Unless of course we happen to get a heat streak (which seems doubtful)

Oct 24, 2006blakeashake

i actually found out about soaps in 7th grade and never thught about gettin a pair. but then in 8th grade my friend had a pair and i used his and i was like these r sweet i want a pair but had no money for some. so i just gave up.

and then last year i was at a local schools battle of the bands and i seen this sweet rail that i could slide on with my normal shoes and i hit that like 347368 times and had so much funn!! so i told my firend that i had tried soaping a year or 2 ago and it was so much fun. then i went home that nite and started searching to only figure out that i had to get them off ebay. so thn i got my pair of smoke scabs off ebay and im soapin everyday before, after and during school.

Oct 24, 2006Wesker

I don't remember where I originaly heard about them but I read about Soap Shoes in a Maxim magazine and then I found out that a friend of mine had a pair. I tried them out and was hooked ever since.

Oct 24, 2006mnsoaperns

Was playing SA2 with SPSR and he pretty much said you know there are shoes that can do that in real life, we bought some heelies evos at the time with another of our friend then spsr got his scorchers I got my navy scabs we got 3 other friends into it since then i believe...

Oct 24, 2006arjay

Mine is simple.

I used to be an aggressive blader about 5 years ago.. Back then, me and my bro got soaps because its the same fun as blading but without the wheels.. Then present time i was looking for a new pair of shoes and remembered my old soaps which i used to have endless fun with.. found some on ebay.. now ive got 3 pairs for all occasions.
(walking + soaping) (parkour + soaping) (fighting + soaping) <--- if or when i run into the wrong ppl ^_^

Oct 24, 2006matrix8967

yeah, I used to soap back in the day with my friends (in like 2000 i was in 6th grade) and then my friends moved so I stopped (because i never used my own, I didn't have any, i just used thiers) and then about a year ago I bought some express...I didn't really soap because I couldnt find a good rail...then I bought some Vans and was like "i've neglected my soaps by buying these..." so I got up some guts, and soaped, and I was back in the swing of things in no time. It gives me a sense of freedom...

---Alex

Oct 24, 2006DeanSoaper

Hey blake i remember that night at saint joes with that rail that made us remember soaps.

Oct 24, 2006snares

i first heard about soaps years ago and wanted to get a pair (but just never got round to it).
Then suddenly thought of them again a while ago and promptly got a pair.
Got a few friends interested, one of which also got some and never looked back.

Why i soap:-
Because its fun.
best reason to do it,lol. I used to inline but stopped, with soaps,i'm not confined to curtain areas or surfaces in order to use them (its just a matter of fucking up your plate or not).
It gives me the freedom to carry-out my daily life, but if i see something cool to grind on anywhere, then i can 'play'.
It also requires an element of skill and fitness which i enjoy.
Theres no better feeling than finally managing to nail a curtain trick or grind a full length of a rail.
sweetness!

Oct 24, 2006Kru

back in 2000. Then I forgot about them.. I grew out of those shoes fast. Now its 2006 and I want another pair.. and thats where my fun ends. Because I'll never find a pair in my size ever. Except on ebay, which I don't want to deal with.
Unless I get heelys with a plate which seems to be the only option

Oct 25, 2006spartykus

mmm, i just fort of that! you could get heely's with a grind plate, but take the wheels out and then you got soap's... lol. cos i cant find any in my size either and i really do want some boltar's with bbk's on them! sweeeeet...

Oct 25, 2006blakeashake

what r ur sizes???

Oct 26, 2006spartykus

im a size 10, but im very picky on colours... lol. i'l just have to pay like £64 instead of £30 to get the ones i want. it sucks! but i suppose its worth it!

Oct 26, 2006SapAuthor

SA2B Hooked me, and i found SOAPs after googling for grind plate shoes after failed attempt to make my own soaps. Ever since I've been practicing and getting better. Soaps 4 ever!

Oct 28, 2006Kru

well I ordered a pair of heelys w/ the plate on it. I know I shouldn't but actually the wheel adds yet another element of levels. I'm not going to be an obnoxious little sh-- with them either.
I do plan ripping up the mall near me close to it.. theres this really steep freaking rail in the parking garage that goes to the upper level.. woohoo!

Oct 29, 2006SapAuthor

when it comes to Heely's, I don't think we really should have hostility towards them. At least some have grind plates now, even though they up till recently didn't make SOAPs. But yeah, people who are obnoxious with them are pretty annoying, even i owned a pair of Heely's, and i remember they were fun, but i like my soaps better.

Oct 29, 2006mnsoaperns

SA2B SapAuthor did you only play the GC version of SA2 because I also noticed an error on your site stating that SA2 Battle was sonic with SOAPS in them when in fact the original SA2 (Dreamcast forever)featured soaps and battle was just a port with more mplayer stuff...and slightly updated graphics. but this board isn't about a sonic debate just glad everyone here is soaping.

May 2, 2007xJeremiahx

I remember first seing them around 1998-1999. I was at a skate park and I saw a couple guys grinding on curbs with their shoes. I was all WTF? I had been skateboarding for about 2 years at that point and soaps looked very fun.

I couldn't afford to buy them and when I finaly was able to buy them I couldn't find anywhere that sold them anymore.

A few years later 2004 my girlfriend found a local skateboard shop that sold them and she bought me a pair of Groove shoes. They where sic and I had a lot of fun until they litaraly fell appart.

That skate shop by then had stopped selling them and I was back to no soaps.

After seing a soap video on youtube last month I decided that I wanted to go on a search for a new pair even though I had heard that soap went out of buisness. I then found sonicandpals and quickly ordered myself a pair of Express shoes.

May 2, 2007dunk

I first saw Soaps back in 97-98 when I was rolling around on my Roces blades. I thought they were a bit lame but then a good friend, Stew bought a pair of Black ghetto looking Cleans. As soon as I saw him bust out a grind and then walk off like nothing had happened I thought I HAVE to get a pair of those. A week later a pair of Boltar rusts hit my doorstep and a few more weeks later 6 or 7 of us had a combination of Soap Shoes, Salomon grind shoes and Rollerblade Grind Shoes, and a few weeks after that UKFSW was born ;)
I still blade though, just bought a pair of Rollerblade Broskow's a few days back. And I Soap when I can. I have a pair of Soap Septums with slobro plates sitting at the end of my bed right now.

Mart, I know we say this every summer but I think it's time we finished this film. We're getting old dude ;) and we need closure.

May 2, 2007RamenRadio

It began with sonic. I would think it would be cool if it was real, but I never really looked into it. And then AJ told me about it, and I was surprised to find it real. So I jumped right on a rail lol

May 2, 2007rhinoskater30

Me too, well sorta, if i recall correctly, it's because of the soap van with the pic of sonic on it, not too long before that i got SA2 for Dreamcast and realized...
So THAT'S why they have soap posted in the game like that.

May 3, 2007AnthoFlex

My story goes like this....but before i start, i'm gonna put it out in the open that i was in no way influenced by Sonic:

1. My first thought of grinding with my shoes was when i was like 9...we were playing Hide-and-seek tag. i remember standing on the rail of my building and my friend spotted me, then caught me. I thought to myself "If i was able to slide on this thing, he would'nt have caught me...."

My second encounter with my mind for grinding was like 2 years later:

I was in my dad's job, and i was bored as f***, I remember sitting on the bumper of the van that was in the warehouse staring down at my feet. "Why do they curve the shoe like that on the bottom" i thought looking at my Nike's..... I always noticed the plastic plate there but until then, i never wondered about it... "I wonder if i can grind with my shoes like how friends do with their sk8boards"

So i went to the warehouse's staircase that had no rail, just a little wood thing on the stairs...i was barely a foot high and was only about 8 inches long....

i set my foot on the plates....and down i went...8 inches....nothing, but it was the coolest fucking thing in the world.... i even told my dad that i was "grinding" on the "grindplates" of the shoe...it wasnt until about 5,6, or 7 years later that i found out about Soapshoes....I was sk8ing with my friends and we were all talking about stupid things we did when we were little. I mentioned me "Grinding" (yes i said GRINDING) with my shoes in my dad's job.

Jon: Oh, you had SOAPSHOES too? So did I...
Me: Soapshoes? whats that?
Jon: dude, they are grind shoes. what kind you had?
Me: Ma bad dude, but i'm gonna be out, peace

later that night...i stumbled onto Soapshoes.com and i couldn't believe my eyes! There were actually shoes for GRINDING! I always knew that they HAD to exist....but i never knew what they were called.....

and now look at me, ive become a very important person in the Soaping world.

May 3, 2007AnthoFlex

Speaking of the bumper of the old van that i was sitting on......

holy shit...it was a ford, EXTREMELY similar to that of the Soap van....just gray....

gotta go, imma ask my dad if that thing is still in there

May 3, 2007SonicSoaper

What did I say Renny? XD

May 3, 2007rhinoskater30

WARNING
This Is Not At All Related to Soap.

My official motto is:

Why don't you have anything to drink? Choose one making you better feeling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLaZJbGSxI&mode=related&search=

May 3, 2007SonicSoaper

...Then why did you post it?

May 3, 2007rhinoskater30

cuz if ud watch it's funny, plus others have posted off topic stuff, so i thot i would once too

May 3, 2007guero12

I saw all those SOAP billboards in SA2 but I did know about SOAP until about 2005. I wanted to try it and I had a hard time finding SOAP's. Eventually I found the SaP site and ordered pair. There was one kid at my school last year who had SOAP's he didn't know they were used for grinding when he bought them. I saw him again this year he doesn't wear them anymore. My brother told me today that there is a kid in his PE class who has SOAP shoes. The kid is a freshman and I'm guessing new to SOAP's. But I gotta find kid, all I know is his name. And I tried to get my friends to buy SOAP's but they say stuff like "nah, I skateboard" or they just not really intersted. Then I had a couple of them come to my house and I let them use my SOAP's to grind a PVC pipe that I found at my uncle's house and one of them, "woah this is pretty cool". Now they are considering buying SOAP's.

May 3, 2007Megashadow77

I was reading SAP a couple of months ago. Saw the shoes, friggen loved em, and got some.

May 3, 2007SapAuthor

SA2B all the way. Saw Sonic grinding, tried to make my own, so i thought "Someone must have made grind plate shoes." So i googled it and found SOAPs, and then realized that Sonic was wearing actual SOAP shoes and had banners all over.

May 3, 2007Mart

To cut a long story short; http://www.solidgrind.com/photos/soap-shoes/160/">a guy I chatted to on ICQ showed me them, I thought they looked the shit, got some for my 16th birthday, hooked up with him a week later and had a blast. We both joined UKFSW the following summer, and everything has been rosy ever since

May 4, 2007RamenRadio

I wish I was into soaping earlier. I never knew they exist damn it. :(

May 4, 2007Tasslehoff

mainly sonic adventure 2 battle. I really thought that it would be awesome to actually be able to jump and slide along rails like everyones favorite hedgehog. (and ultimate life form... long live shadow)

May 4, 2007adamblock

my PreCalc teacher mentioned Soaps one day. I remembered that "Soap" signs were in Sonic A. @ Battle. I got home and played the game, sure enough, saw the signs, then started googling about Soapshoes.

May 4, 2007kobansora

Wow guys lol, lots of Sonic influences.

I started when I felt like grinding one day. I would play Tony Hawk and Aggressive Inline just so I could do crazy grind and ground combos... Then I thought, "Hey let's look up grind shoes on Youtube." So I did and I found some Japanese heelers with grind plates. I couldn't find any in my size, and I saw lots of people commenting, "THEY COPIED SOAPS ZOMGWTFBBQ!" So I looked up Soap Shoes and I found the old Soap Shoes site. I didn't think much of them until...

I looked them up on eBay and found Solid Grind. I tried winning a pair of Boltars but I lost... Then my friend won like, six pairs of Soaps on eBay and let me buy his accidental win off of him... The white Sylons.

~JJ

May 5, 2007JeiHeirumaru

My story? It's also influenced on the Cobalt hero. Ever since SA2,I loved Soaps. And ever since then,and now? I'm a huge Soap fan That'll never stop soapin'. Long live sonic,and long live Soap. Peace

May 5, 2007SonicSoaper

SA2 and the St. Lois demo plus the urge to do something different. That's what made me get into soaping.

May 5, 2007rhinoskater30

Well...sounds like Sonic's done some good!!!

May 6, 2007SapAuthor

Hey, anyone know if they feature grind shoes in that FSW game coming up? I wonder if HSL could pull what SOAPs did back then, have them put SOAP shoe logos since they are using a patented grind plate shoe. Anyone have info on the game?

May 7, 2007SpiderSoaper

are u talking about that war game Full Spectrum Warrior?

May 7, 2007matrix8967

I started with my friends damien and Jarred...they had crowbars, scabs, and scorchers...i remember it was so cool...

---Alex

(P.S. sorry I havn't been on solidgrind alot l8ly...i'm graduating and i'm getting college stuff ready and building a new computer and all sorts of stuff...@_@ I'll be on as often as I can be...I'm on at least once a day, i just don't comment...)

May 28, 2007Spano565

One night i was bored so i go on my computer and go on wikipedia.com and i wanted to learn more about freestyle walking,so when i finish reading the info. on it i find a link to soap.com and ever since i've been hooked on learning about soap and am currently trying to get my hands on a pair of Expresses.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Derek Brooks hittin a Mizuo
Corey Desrochers hittin a Alley-opp Cheese Grater
Alexei Tajzler hittin a Sidewalk
If you own a pair of Soaps, you've seen this Sticker
Zach Larson hittin a Royale