Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Project Unity: Plate basics 2
Apr 29, 2014 by kowalski

Does anyone know what material plates were normally made from?

Does anyone have any views on what materials would be nest to make plates from?
Replies

Apr 29, 2014mcgrinder2011

I'm thinking Nylon plastic, at least I know that's what the expresses were made from. Wait, the glides HAVE expresses, so all we'll need is a way to get extra holes for some screws. That's how they're designed.

Apr 29, 2014kowalski

Whoops, sorry about the double post.

Good info. How do you know the expresses use nylon?

Apr 29, 2014zelda

I promise you its posted everywhere on the website, but mostly because nylon is a very small plastic

Apr 30, 2014mcgrinder2011

He's right. It says it almost everywhere here.
Even in the plate description. "A nylon grind plate manufactured by HSL."

Come to think of it, whatever happened to everyone here, ever since I got on a lot of people have left.

Apr 30, 2014kowalski

Maybe they are out Soaping!

Cool, does anyone know enough about materials science to say whether that is the ideal material or if there is a better one?

You know, I'm surprised right now. This place has effectively become more active than the forum I moderate myself.

May 1, 2014zelda

if you view the instructables you'll find that people have used a cutting board in the past to simulate a grind plate

May 1, 2014kowalski

I remember watching that. Are there different grades of nylon? It seems like there would be.

Gonna go google that...

May 1, 2014mcgrinder2011

I already know about the instructables. How do you think I got my zip-plates?

May 1, 2014LIGERZERO7

If you guys can pull this off... It'd be great.

May 1, 2014kowalski

You are one of us guys too, LIGERZERO7. Everyone's input is equally valid and valued.

May 2, 2014mcgrinder2011

Exactly! So, anyone got input?

May 2, 2014kowalski

Only read the start of the wiki so far but it seems like the best kind of nylon would be a molybdenum sulfide-filled variant because...

...apparently "Nylon is a generic designation for a family of synthetic polymers known generically as aliphatic polyamides" (so, yes, there are loads of types).

...and "molybdenum sulfide-filled variants ... increase lubricity" (i.e. they glide better!).

May 2, 2014kowalski

(FYI: Lubricity is a measure of friction, it can be judged by how much damage to the item being tested is caused by the surface it is being tested against.)

May 2, 2014mcgrinder2011

And what wiki did you find that on?

*didn't get too much of that*

May 2, 2014Revengasaur

I have been busy with a lot of stuff including a new music project: https://soundcloud.com/imaginary-chipmusic

Also my wife's cousin is doing a CSA (community supported agriculture) program and I have been doing farmwork for him on top of my usual gigs. To get an idea of the process for hand casting your own plates, check this out: http://youtu.be/dcRv__zNxYE

I reccomend the Oomoo 30 for the molding and Smooth-Cast 61D for the plate material. Knock yourselves out.

May 2, 2014mcgrinder2011

Thanks for the hint.

And holy crap, haven't seen you in forever!

May 4, 2014Revengasaur

Yeah man, I usually only have internet access on Friday so posts have been few. Not soaping at all lately. Pretty much just been working on music and working my ass off. Everything runs in cycles though. I'm sure when summer hits I'll be sporting some black cleans again...

May 5, 2014mcgrinder2011

Well, I wish you luck on the(hopefully doable) soaping!

May 5, 2014kowalski

Internet once a week! I feel for you, man.

Thanks for the awesome info and link. The video makes it look pretty straight forwards, so long as you follow the steps properly.

Are there any things you learnt through mistakes when you have moulded stuff in the past?

May 5, 2014Revengasaur

Always make your molds square or rectangular. I used a circle the first time and had to punch the air inlet through the top of the mold. It worked okay, but it's so much easier to attach rubber bands to hold the halves of the mold together on a flat surface. Order/make disposable measuring cups and get a big pile of plain wood mix sticks. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find something to mix with that you don't mind destroying. Before it sets up, urethane will bond with other plastics and "melt" or discolor them. It also melts rubber bands pretty reliably. Order and use mold release every time to increase the lifetime of your mold. Thinking back it may have been the 65D Smooth Cast I used to make the best plate, I don't quite remember. I'll have to go look at what I have next time I'm down at my dad's house. I wouldn't use anything softer than the 61 though. One of the prototypes we made using a softer plastic is like a gummy bear, or a skateboard wheel. Let your mold set up overnight before you try to cast in it. I know it's really exciting, but the mold likes to stick to it's other half and tear on the surface if it's not well set up.
I'll try to think of more hints and tips as I go about the day.

May 5, 2014mcgrinder2011

Thanks for the tip. But we'll need to figure out the plate shape and how we want it to be on the shoe before we mold it.

May 5, 2014kowalski

Great info, again!

Because many of us have unused plates... (or even used plates with a nice groove cut in), this method can be used to keep ourselves stocked with fresh plates in our own size for now!

And later the skills will be valuable once we have our own plate shapes designed too.

May 21, 2014kowalski

Bump

May 21, 2014mcgrinder2011

This xjustinx character needs to be banned.
HE'S THE REASON WE NEED A MOD ON HERE!!!

May 21, 2014kowalski

It hasn't affected my enjoyment of the forum. We bump the threads we care about and continue as normal, it isn't very disruptive and it is how he wants to express himself.

May 22, 2014mcgrinder2011

Ah well, at least I can continue to post without looking through 3 pages of empty threads and spam.

btw, sorry about the argument earlier I get that our opinions differ and that I shouldnt've intervened. I just thought that if I sorted out the argument between you three, maybe we could all just post like normal.

Also, can you try and be a little nicer too, it hurts me a bit more than usual thanks to my autism.

May 22, 2014zelda

Not to be rude, but does anyone ever plan on actually doing this? We have a lot of talk but no one really takes the initiative.

May 22, 2014kowalski

Doing what?

May 22, 2014mcgrinder2011

I think we know, Kowalski.
*hint, hint: thread we're on*

May 22, 2014kowalski

Cool, want sure because there was also conversation about mods on the thread just now.

May 22, 2014kowalski

wasn't

May 23, 2014LIGERZERO7

Well... this'll take some time you know? If people are actually going to do some stuff maybe they'll probably be doing it over summer I guess since no school? Hopefully?

May 24, 2014mcgrinder2011

I'll definitely be working on promoting Grind shoes around town now that I'm no longer in school. I do know the replaceable plates basic design and how to put them together without much flaw.

I just hope I can actually make them more popular again.

May 27, 2014LIGERZERO7

Good luck. Sorry can't do much I've still got a month of school left so I'll try whatever if I can.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Derek Brooks hittin a Alley-opp Mizuo on the new Broadsides
Jordan Pushing Aaron off a hand rail. Soap team at it's finest!
Dario Nieva with a Mizuo.
Darren McCall hittin a Royale
Brett Dierker with a Frontside.