Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
My First Few Days Of Soaping
Jun 9, 2013 by Mike3266

Hey guys, I've been checking out the site for a while, and decided to join after I got my shoes. Ordered my Soaps (Black/Grey Size 12 Scabs) from Rawk and they came in last Tuesday! I've wanted them for a while, but didn't find out Rawk started shipping to the U.S. until recently. The local skate park only has one rail and a small box for me to practice on, but I'm still really enjoying it. I've been going when it's not too hot out each day since and practicing for about 30-45 minutes. Right now I can only frontside reliably, still working on the backside (it is a lot more scary, at least for me lol), and I've felt gutsy and tried to hit a unity on a frontside and I've managed it a few times (made me feel awesome haha). I've noticed I usually land on the rail one foot at a time when I jump on it, right foot first mostly. Is this a viable way to do it or am I impairing myself by learning this way? Any other tips are also much appreciated, and look forward to getting to know the Soaping community!

Thanks,
Mike
Replies

Jun 9, 2013gongon1037

welcome Mike, and great to see you took an interest in soap shoes. your doing good by landing on foot first, I always land front foot first, gives me more spped

Jun 9, 2013gongon1037

speed :P

Jun 9, 2013Relate2Videos

welcome bro, if you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask there's a lot of people here again.

Jun 9, 2013zelda

welcome!

Jun 9, 2013zelda

also the more you practice, the more you'll figure out what you're comfortable with. Some people do it with their front foot first, other's with their backfoot.

Front foot first gives you more speed

Jun 9, 2013camaro126

I always do front first or both at the same time. I've been practicing bit by bit for awhile and finally have started getting confident with frontsides but I'm still pretty new. Glad to see new people interested in Soaps! :)

Jun 9, 2013kowalski

If you are doing 30+ minutes a day, you will be really good soon. Respect.

I land slightly earlier on my leading foot too. I try to land as two-footed as possible for style. I recommend over-practicing anything and everything that feels counterintuitive.

If you notice that you prefer to ...
... jump off your left foot, spend more time jumping off your right foot.
... land frontside, spend more time practicing landing backside.
... land on your leading foot, spend more time landing on your supporting foot.

Your strongest side will develop on its own, you need to nurture and grow your weakest side. Plus the challenge of it makes it more fun.

Jun 9, 2013Mike3266

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips guys! I approach the rail to where my right foot is my back foot most of the time(I'm left handed so I think that's why I prefer to lead with my left foot lol), so I'll try landing front foot first for more speed. Also your tip about practicing what is counter intuitive makes a lot of sense Kowalski, I'll definitely work on that. I have a video my friends and I made at the skate park my second or third session if anyone wants to see it for a few laughs haha.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/mike3266/media/SoapVideo1Final.mp4.html?sort=3&;o=0

Jun 9, 2013Relate2Videos

nonononono dude. you really need to keep your feet spread apart from each other man. It's a lot easier to keep your balance that way.

balance is very important.

Jun 9, 2013zelda

yeah like not to discourage you or anything but work on making sure those feet are not close together like that. not to discourage you we just dont want you to get hurt here!

Jun 9, 2013kowalski

We have the same shoes and size.

I have modded mine a bit. I blacked out the whole shoe with permanent marker except for the grey part of the plastic sole. They look sick.

That was fun to watch.

Echoing the others; you want your legs at least shoulder width apart and bend your knees a lot more.

It both looks better and is easier.

Keep posting vidz, man.

Jun 9, 2013Relate2Videos

yeah didn't mean to make it sound negative, just gotta play it safe when grinding.

Jun 9, 2013zelda

Yeah man definitely post another vid after working on your balance a little bit. Practice it for at least 15 minutes a day, and maybe make another vid next week. You'll be good.

Jun 9, 2013Mike3266

Wow didn't realize that the distance between my feet was that important, but from what y'all are saying it should make my life a lot easier if I keep my legs further a part! Going to church camp this week and they have skate park :)), so I should get a lot of practice and some good video, probably will post another in about a week. Again, thanks for the constructive criticism.

Jun 9, 2013manofmisery

sounds like a lot of fun awesome
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Aaron Huebner sliding royale for Bryndon
Dunk hittin a Royale on the Wolsey rail, Ipswich
Bryndon Smith hittin a Frontside the Iowa City Kink
Loren Dalla Betta hittin a Fastslide
greg with a cess slide and sweet cast