Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
The real news on Soap
Sep 9, 2006 by Go2Crew

There has been a lot of rumor, conjecture, and as we say here in Texas, just plain old BS bantered about concerning the health and pulse of Soap Shoes. If you don’t really care, you can stop reading right now, because this will take a moment to tell …

Here’s what I know as of now, September 9, 2006 03:01 CDT 09:01 GMT (Mart and Dunk time). Dateline: Carrollton, TX ----- Here’s the straight skinny on what’s up at HSL.

Of the three brands that HSL owns: Heelys, Axis, and Soap:
· Axis, the skater shoe line is totally dead and gone as of about two to three years ago. I know I’m personally disappointed because there was some decent looking stuff, with some really good suggested retail prices.
· Heelys, the roll line is expanding big time in the US, UK, and Europe and is fact is beginning to exceed pipeline capacity. Needless to say, it is drawing the vast majority of HSL’s attention and capital. They have SMU’s (special make-up units) going on with the major Retailers. I was over at Nordstrom’s the other day in the kid’s shoe department looking at a Heelys style, Chocolate w/ Pink trim (I really stood out looking at girls’ shoes, but oh well, got to do the market research).
· Soap … Mart is correct in his previous comments… Soap is not dead, but I will say it is doing a slow walk. The Express is the only style that will be currently continued and it is being produced in all three colorways (alright Renny, quit jumping up and down, I know it’s your favorite shoe). Sizes 3-9 are in stock (the first half of my initial stocking order arrived today, after a three-week delay and the second half of it should ship out Monday. As I said, Heelys is getting all the attention, so the Soap shipments off the shipping dock in Carrollton are running somewhat late. Anyhow, sizes 10-12 are being produced and should be available late October (my stocking order should ship-out Oct 15th). And if I read the size grid correctly, the 6026 is being made in size 13 (yeah, I ordered some of those too and I’m waiting for confirmation on whether the size was a misprint or not). I asked about the A-sides and as I feared, the only molds and dies made were the one set of size nines for the prototypes. Derek, I guess you’re safe, those were the only pairs to be produced. Mold sets and dies are still available for the T-Bone, so if HSL sees a revival in business, they could re-open that production, TBD. I’ll leave it up to you guys to decide if the T-Bone warrants support, because as of now, it will be closest to a full-sole plate shoe HSL is set-up to produce (even though it is technically a half full-sole plate, sort of heeling while you Soap!). None of the old molds and dies were retained from the Artemis or In-Stride days, so you won’t see a re-introduction of old styles like the Broadside, Scorcher (one of my favorites), Scab, Turntable, Crowbar, Flow (another of my favorites), or Ordnance (my favorite --- Mart, Renny, Rick, Ryozox … sorry I had to do some jumping up and down here!). That’s a pity because there was some pretty slick stuff produced then, but it is what it is now, so we move on. International distribution is just not happening for Soap and Soap/HSL is locked into distributor agreements until 2008, so UKFSW guys, if you need something and the Retailers aren’t going to carry the brand, you know how to get a hold of me. And I will ship Worldwide.

As for me, well I am a Soap Shoes Dealer again (I am totally stoked about that!) and I have brick-and-mortar partnered with a Skateboard shop here in San Antonio, so if you have some specialty skater needs, I should have access to that side of the business soon. Next step is to talk HSL into letting me distribute roll/grind Evolutions or Torches, or bring back the Grails, etal. Or maybe Plan B …… pulling a rabbit out of the hat and working toward a resurrection of the Soap brand by a new style introduction or an A-Side production run. It never hurts to dream!

So keep on grinding and promoting Soap, because like I told my Sales Rep the other day, that combo shoe is good, but if you’re grind only, you don’t want to have to yank the wheel off when you’re looking to shred some rail. Crash landing when you have a wheel in can really put you on your ass…
Replies

Sep 9, 2006Mart

This is going in the news articles, it's too important to be in the forum

Sep 9, 2006Wesker

Awesome news Steve. What would it take for them to make a production run of the A-Sides? Because really thats the only Soap shoe we need (Or will ever need).

Something Soap's is seriously lacking from the olden days is the style and attitude. Current Soap's just don't have that life to them ya know? They look like the Heely's shoes and don't really make a style of their own (In fact some Soap shoe models are also Heely's models :|)

Sep 9, 2006SapAuthor

I agree with mart, thsi is big news. I'm really sad that the molds for models like scabs, ordnance were lost, those were solid shoes, and the others are also a shame. Means i'm going to have to seriously treasure my ordnance flints, within the next couple years soaps won't be showing up new on ebay anymore *cry*

Steve, It's awesome you are dealing SOAPs agian, have HSL given you a price yet? And also, is there anyway we could purchsae online so others around the country of US could tell their friends "Yah, Steve has a shop, i'll show you where you can buy them online." It would really be cool.

I'm just glad that at least HSL is bringing SOAPs back, i was afriad the long delay would mean that they had second thoughts. I'm not sure how expansive the warehouse is for that dealer on ebay and his soap shoes, but i'm not seeing as many of them out there. I'm selling my pair to my friend (12 ordnance) and picking up the 13s on ebay right now. I'll still use my expresses like i would any normal shoe (skateboarding included, it's my only shoe shoe), and i'll leave my ordnance for serious SOAPing matters.

Thanks again Steve, please get back to me with the possibility of internet buying, i'll throw the links and info up on my site so my viewers can get a chance to get a pair.

Sep 9, 2006chip

they also have other soaps there to just at www.mtbz.com

Sep 9, 2006chip

nitros and groovs i think the groovs are 2 skinny and ugly

Sep 9, 2006chip

same with nitros

Sep 9, 2006chip

so we still have some hope

Sep 9, 2006SapAuthor

chip, i don't know anyone here who has a size 3 shoe. those sites only carry small sizes.

Sep 9, 2006chip

im size 3 im onley 11 years old lol

Sep 9, 2006chip

lamo

Sep 10, 2006SapAuthor

again,largest size is 6.

Chip, please try not to double, triple, and quadruple post, say it in 1 if possible.

Sep 10, 2006Go2Crew

Wow, what I did I start?
First of all, thanks Mart for moving the post from forum to news. I think I will answer all of the follow-up questions here in forum though, to prevent jamming up the news section. If you decide otherwise, feel free to shift the answers over there also.

Hey Wesker:
I’m just speaking from my knowledge of the footwear biz, but to put in a new model size run of sole molds and uppers pattern cutting dies, they would be looking to amortize the costs over an expected production run of 50,000 pairs or more. I am thinking the initial order would need to be in the range of 1,000-5,000 pair to get HSL’s interest in putting in their full size run, but the sizing could be adjusted to be only an offering of sizes 9-12 or 13, and maybe they would bite at 600-1,500 pair minimums, as the total tooling outlay would be less. The reason I mentioned the T-Bone is the tooling is already there so a re-intro order should be in the 250-500 pair range, as they wouldn’t have any additional investment. Everyone can comment in the shoe section about the T-Bone and clue me into if that is a tact we should pursue.
As for the A-Sides being the only Soap shoe you ever need, I somewhat disagree. Don’t forget it is an expensive (costly) shoe to produce, most folks can’t drop US$100-120 retail on a pair, and it is a challenge to make a comfortable full-sole plate shoe when fifty percent of the sole bottom is nylon grind plate (that’s the reason the Slipknot plate on the Broadsides and the plate on the A-Sides is segmented for some sole flexibility when walking in the shoe). Yeah, you can pull more tricks in a full-sole plate but the tweekage you got on a BBK or even better on an Octane plate is primo, imho.

“Something Soap's is seriously lacking from the olden days is the style and attitude. Current Soap's just don't have that life to them ya know? They look like the Heely's shoes and don't really make a style of their own (In fact some Soap shoe models are also Heely's models :|)”.
…… HSL is just doing what a lot of shoe companies do to cut costs: uppers and soles are being used across multiple brands to avoid additional development costs … basically cross-pollination. But you also see styling cues from the Scab and Praba being used in the Groove and the Express, so it’s all good. And yes, I do miss the California edgy, in-your-face attitude. Now if they would just copy the uppers and Speedster plate onto a nuvo-Scorcher, we would all be happy campers!

SapAuthor --- Hey, Trevor:
Yes to almost everything you asked --- Southernbelt on eBay never got back to me about a bulk buy of the vintage Soaps but I know they are sitting on a good number of size 11-14, mainly 12 and 13’s. So keep watching.
HSL did get back to me on pricing and I need to hustle-up taking care of business but it is going something like this –
Step 1) Listing on eBay “buy it now” as sizes arrive (and eBay auction on the vintage style single pairs I have).
Step 2) Initially an eBay Stores step-up, hopefully morphing into a Store web page with full shopping cart, etc.
Step 3) A stand-alone, on-line web presence. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

And, as always, I am happy to work on a direct purchase buy via e-mail, too. So if you want to refer to me by e-mail address link, that’s cool.
Pricing on the Express will be:
· US sizes 3-5, US$45.50 plus S&H
· US sizes 6-9, US$65.50 plus S&H
· US sizes 10-12(and maybe13?), US$69.50 plus S&H, when they get here at the end of October.
Plus a pilón (Spanish in Mexico for a gratuity or appreciation) -- repeat customers get an 7.0% discount on shoe purchases … if you bought something from us before, we want to say thank you with a discount on your next purchases.
Also, HSL is supposed to be rummaging around in the warehouse on what is going to be sent over here, so we can do a gift with purchase for the first 20 pairs or so. It maybe a Soap Duck, a Big “O” VHS, or a package of five Soap stickers, but no definite answer on that one yet so we are patiently waiting!

Hey Chip:
SapAuthor already popped you on the fact that MTBZ and Skate Connection are not stocking Soap shoes either wide or deep and because of that few people can buy Soaps from them. As he said not everyone is a size three, but hey lucky for you! It has been a bit of a problem (for HSL) that they aren’t overly serious about stocking the Soap brand. I hope to give the Solidgrinders an alternative, because I’m a size nine … ! Sorry, I ‘m just messing with you a bit there, Chip!

Hey Renny:
Are you still jumping up and down? I got size nines in all three colors, yee-haw! You know what? I’m kind of partial to the White/Orange/Navy, although the Grey/Black/Royal Blue is really reminding me of the Prabas. Sorry again that the NYC Heely’s Day busted.

Ok, Derek and Mart:
I am glad I decided to answer all of this in the forum. It would have really cluttered-up the news section. As you can see, I got long-winded and wrote a book again. Feel free to edit anything you feel is either blatantly self-promoting, not necessarily relevant, and also move any piece over to the news section, as an addition to the first posting, that you would like …
And just a final thought: I’m sitting here looking at the Octane plate and the Express shoes and I am thinking there is no reason that the Octane plate can’t be remolded as an affixed plate. The contours and edges are so good. What would you think of the Chaos, Scam, or even a wheel-less Mack, re-mapped in a lighter colorway, with an Octane-style fixed plate? HSL would be able to use the already available upper and sole tooling they have. Color change is a no additional cost decision. The only additional cost would be new, size-graded molds for an Octane-style plate. Offer only sizes 9-12 if they want to minimize that cost, then you’re only talking two molds (9-10 & 11-12). It’s not the A-Side, but it could be the next best thing and I think it could be saleable to Stafferoni and Biery, without making their heads spin. I am really asking for your opinion here. I think it’s doable. What do you think?

Regards,
Steve

Sep 10, 2006chip

ok

Sep 10, 2006SapAuthor

Steve-O, you roxzer. My email is trevorfayas@sonicandpals.com, i would love to further work out things with you as in getting a place for my viewers to get them. I also would request somehow getting more videos and pictures on my site, i can refer but my viewers are usually pretty lazy and wont look into anything unless i place it right in front of their face...I should probably put some SOAP stuff in my comics, that's a good idea...Anyways, email me and we can work things out.

Once again, God Bless you, man! *single tear*

Sep 13, 2006Wesker

When they first announced the A-Sides my rep over at Soap at the time told me the price would be $10 more than normal pairs at the time (So either 90 or 100 bucks).

Looking at how much people are willing to spend on e-bay (Mart with close to $200 on the Broadsides and a few people in the high $100's range for old size 11+ shoes) i'd figure people would want to throw down some cash for a pair of A-sides.

Not to say it's the oonly pair you need, but really I am just comparing it to current Soap shoes because what they really lack (And this is oddly a big deal) is different plates.

I mean really all the plates do the same thing (Eventually when grinded down, with the exception of Slipknot and Speedster plates) and now all they have are 5 models with the same plate.

To me that was their first mistake, releasing so many models at first that wern't that different at all, not even in the color of the plates. For some reason people think they need replaceable plates or a different type of plate and that really sells it, back in the day people bought tons of extra plates and collected different styles because really each style looked (good) different from the rest and had their own respective plates or big plate option.

Personally I think you can tweak better in Broadsides, but I guess that's up for opinion.

Sep 13, 2006SapAuthor

i'll be honest, even thoguh i have my express, am (hopefully) getting those 13 ordnance, if the price is right i would get some broadsides too, although it would wait till i'm a little better (express and ordnance models are really comfy, so that way even if i dont' soap a lot it's worth it, but i hear the broadsides aren't that comfy due to the full sole plate). I'm still in my crawling steps of soap, but broadides would be sweet, if not the scorchers or A Side,

Sep 13, 2006Mart

The torque on Broadsides is awful, in my opnion. Too much plate and not enough shoe, there's not enough control for my liking

Sep 13, 2006Louis

Hmm, its all very interesting. It's a real shame soapshoes arent being promoted, because i see that as probably the biggest failure. You cant expect to sell shoes without proper PR work, regardless of the number of models, accessories, options, colours etc being offered for sale.
I guess one problem is that humans love to roll. It's almost like we were meant to be on wheels. I reckon something inside of us makes us fascinated by rolling, and have a desire to move from A to B without actually walking....Kids are probably just naturally drawn to the heelys more so than soaps because soaps mean walking, and only moving from A to B via a set route along a railing, whereas Heelys mean rolling from A to B wherever you like and in any direction you like.....Trust me, its AALLLLlll psycological maaan.
AAAAAAAAAnnnnyway, Also, regarding the A-sides, i think what what steve was saying is that the majority of people out there (as in not people like us who already have the soap bug) wouldnt be prepared to pay a high cost. Think about all those kids out there with supermarket skateboards. They like the look of skateboarding, have never tried it before, dont know much, and arent gonna throw down $/£150 for a setup, theyre only prepared to pay £/$20. If all they can see if expensive shoes which do something that they have no experience in yet, they arent gonna buy them unless theyre reasonably priced.
Lets face it, any product will die if it doesnt try hard enough to draw in new customers.

Sep 13, 2006AnthoFlex

All i want is for Soap to get back up on its feet and to keep on making more models....we're all doing a great thing here......I wanna see The A-sides come back....that'll be cool.....and (like steve said) a souped up Scorcher model...that would be cool.....and maybe....JUST maybe....i'll get a pair of Express with the bubble in them

Sep 13, 2006AnthoFlex

I was just kidding about the Express.....i love the fact that mine dont have a bubble in them, it makes them unique

Sep 14, 2006SapAuthor

Personally, i would love more than the Broadside, and even the scorchers, for the ordnance model to come back, because that was a stylish, comfy, effective, and durable model. Still is my favorite shoe, hope i can find another >.<

Sep 26, 2006OT

Maybe I haven't looked in the right places but I don't see where your email adress is noted. Also, how much will it cost for shipping to Sweden?

Sep 26, 2006SapAuthor

OT, just case u look here first, find the US shoe size and we'll help you get a pair, you'll rpobably best to go through the UK and their royal shipping.

Sep 27, 2006Go2Crew

So OT, as an example a size 10 Ordnance Flint will run you US$28.70 USPS Airmail Parcel Post, 10 days delivery or US$23.75 USPS Economy Parcel Post, 4-6 weeks delivery for USA to Sweden shipment. SapAuthor is correct, if you can find a good buy out of the UK it will be more economical on the shipping costs.

Sep 27, 2006SapAuthor

if that's it for shipping, it may be worth it to buy in US. I know that the shoes in UK are like 50 bucks i think or something like htat, plus not as much of a selection. But tell us ur size and we can see what will cost less.

Sep 28, 2006OT

thanks for the help fellas. In UK my size seems to be 9.5. I personally never used Ebay so thats why I didn't check that first. Heard some bad stuff about it (but in all fairness you mostly hear only the bad stuff about sites like that).

Sep 28, 2006Go2Crew

OT, Soaps do not come in half-sizes, so did you mean a UK 9 or 10? If you can wear a UK9 (a US10), I can hook you up with a pair of Ordnance Flints for US$65.00 (including USPS Airmail Parcel Post) to get you started in Soaps. They will come bagged i/o boxed to take the shipping weight down. Just a thought!

Sep 29, 2006OT

yeah sorry about that, I ctrl+c'ed straight outta the shoe size translator. In UK size mine is 9 (ouh check the rhymes!). Even with the shipping it's still cheaper than my old shoes, so I think I'ma run with it (absolutely no pun intended). Send me an email with info on how I can transfer the dough to confidential100@hotmail.com so I can reply to you afterwards with my info. My email don't work on my home computer though (some strange stuff) so let me know when you sent it.

Sep 29, 2006SapAuthor

Not sure what you meant by how to transfer the dough. All you do is have yoru parents sign up to Paypal with their bank account, and then go on ebay. Paypal automatically take out the correct amount of your currancy to pay for the shoes when you buy them on ebay and pay with paypal. It's uber easy and quick. Then just look for the pair you want. Does that help?

Sep 30, 2006OT

thanks for trying to help but what i meant was if i order it from Go2Crew, i'll insert the cash to his bank account or send it in a envelope to him.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Aaron Taraboletti hittin a Frontside at Wash U
Dunk hittin a Unity during the UKFSW Trip to Leicester, July '04
Ian Walsh hittin a Frontside
Bryndon Smith hittin a Frontside the Iowa City Kink
Marshall Lenhart hittin a UFO