Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Grindplates!
Aug 2, 2006 by Tatacker

Let's talk about grindplates!

I'm still debating which to get, however. (Yes, I persuaded them! :D)

How well do Impacts do? Are they up to par with BBK's?
Replies

Aug 2, 2006Mart

Impacts have no lock-in whatsoever, the plates are basically flat and I hate them. They're useless for rails until you wear a groove into them, and since I never grind ledges my Impacts are nothing more than a health hazard

The one good thing about them, though, is that the outside edges are concaved (see the picture of the plate http://www.solidgrind.com/grindplates/soap-shoes/impact/">here, the concave is the bit between the left edge of the plate and the edge of the blue section, you can kinda see it better in three dimensions on the http://www.solidgrind.com/shoes/soap-shoes/dash/">Soap Dash). This is handy when busting torqued grinds such as royales and farfs; the two edges formed by the concave help lock the torque in (unlike BBKs where, as the edges of the plate are rounded, the plate can slide forwards or backwards and you can lose the torque). However, this again is useless you've worn a decent groove in your plates

Also, bear in mind that Impacts aren't replacable, whereas BBKs can be replaced when worn down, or simply swapped out for one of the other types of removable plate. Generally, the shoes with Impact grindplates are a bit lighter than the ones with replaceable hardware but, as I've said, the plates are a bit gash unless you're going to be making love to curbs all day long

Aug 3, 2006AnthoFlex

I was looking at my express' today and i noticed that they're kinda flat on the bottom like the impacts...

Aug 3, 2006Rick

They've still got the arch, and the two bar-type deals give more lock in than the impact ever would out of the box.

Aug 13, 2006XSIVE7

U know what would be the best . . . a new type of grind plate! like for anther area besides the mid sole . . . like one 4 steader Drag Quweenz OR steel core pre waxed laces "4 not as painfull sidewalks"!!!!!!!!!! man i knew that coffe would get 2 me to late.

Aug 13, 2006Mart

...what

Aug 13, 2006Surfaced

uhh....

Aug 14, 2006SapAuthor

i'm so confused at what XSIVE7 said too, but i'm getting some shoes and i'll throw on BBK and see hwich is better, express or BBK. I'm thinking express = easier lockon, but BBK = more tweak and can handle wider rails (like square rails. Becuase of hte raised non slippery sides to express, you can't really do much other than circle rails.

Aug 20, 2006Tatacker

Hm..

I just won the auction for the Scabs in Size 11 (pretty close competition), so I'll see how well the Slo-Bros are. I can't wait!

I finally got a pair. ._.!

Aug 20, 2006AnthoFlex

WHOOO! good for you dude! I bet ur gonna LOVE the slo-bros......If you never had them, prepare to feel intense and VERY secure lock-in and control

Aug 20, 2006SapAuthor

Doesn't the secure lock on limit what you can grind on though? I would think that plates like express and BBK, because of their not-so-slick raised edges (which aren't meant to be ground on, my guess) limits you from grinding on square rails and other non cylander railing.

Aug 20, 2006Rick

I've got some Scabs on their way with the Slo Bros as well, really looking forward to it. I have one SloBro that I got from Steve a while ago and I love it.

Aug 20, 2006Mart

...Trev, what are you talking about? I don't know about the Express plates, but the BBKs have no 'not-so-slick raised edges' at all. The entire surface of the plate is grindable. You can grind on whatever the hell you like on BBKs; standard rails, flatbars, curbs, benches, whatever

Aug 20, 2006AnthoFlex

*raises hand from corner* And the Express too.....Every bit of surface on the Express are grindable as well.

Aug 20, 2006AnthoFlex

Yo Trev, thats what i thought also, but looks can be decieving....VERY MUCH decieving on the slobros.....

When i first looked at the pics of the slobros, i was like...."hmmm...those ribs, must be great for ledges..." Turns out, they are bad on ledges.

I thought to myself "damn, those ribs must give it the most insecure lock-in" Turns out, they're one of the best Lock-ins of ANY of the plates. (i say ONE of the best becuase people say that both the Octanes and Speedsters had great lock-in)

But seriously Trev, if u've never tried the slobros, i suggest you do, they're AWESOME for control freaks *like me*

Aug 20, 2006AnthoFlex

I apologize if my last comment was very long

Aug 20, 2006screwheeleys

id say BBK cos theres more contour on the plates its easier to hit the rail, bench or whatever

Aug 29, 2006Tatacker

I got my SOAPs today!

Lock-in on these Slo Bros are absolutely AMAZING.

Only thing I have problems with is the fact that I should get my footing right, because of the lock-in-ness, it doesn't feel as secure as it should if not in that "rib".

It's really slippery. xD

Aug 29, 2006AnthoFlex

Good for you man, you're gonna be kicking ass in no time
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Chris Komsthoeft hittin a Frontside
Chris Wren sliding in front of some nice Junipers
Louis Selby, knocking out another frontside for the bystanders during the UKFSW Fleet trip.
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside
Derek Brooks hittin a Royale