Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
OMG, PVC kicks butt!
Jul 18, 2006 by SapAuthor

I am assembling my own practice rail, and rick suggested using PVC piping. I've heard of it before, so i decided to give it a shot. Went to menards, got the 3 inch diamtere 10 ft pvc pipe for like 10 bucks, got some wood and all and went home. I just laid the PVC on the grass and decided to try it, and WOW! It's like your going on a waxed rail, without the wax! And the 3 inch stuff easily took the stress, i'm 180, and it didn't have any problem. Even if you don't go all out and buy the wood and cut and nail together an elevated surface, go and buy a 10 ft 3 inch PVC pipe and lay it in the grass, for 10 bucks it's worth it!
Replies

Jul 18, 2006AnthoFlex

Wow....imma have to try that

Jul 18, 2006AnthoFlex

Whats Menards?

Jul 18, 2006Tatacker

You can pretty much go to any home department/improvement store to get PVC's, too...

Haha, my half inch/inch wide PVC's broke so easily by whacking them on something.

Jul 18, 2006Surfaced

Menards is a small chain of hardware stores founded back in 1962. They are competitors with The Home Depot and Lowe's. Most Menards (if not all) are in the Midwestern region of the U.S.

Menards' slogan is "Save Big Money at Menards!"

Jul 18, 2006Surfaced

Excuse me,

When I said small I was comparing it to The Home Depot.

Jul 19, 2006SapAuthor

Yah, half inch will break, the only stuff that won't is 3 inch, itw orks great. Just it does bend, so if you prop it up, you need to have a lot of middle supports (i'm doing 4 supports for 10 ft, seeing how it will work), but it works great on the ground. heck, lay it on a hill and you got a slopped one too. I tried a bit and did my first switch move, where u face one way and then jump and face the other. it's simple, but yay for me.

Jul 19, 2006Go2Crew

Hey Trevor,
Have you tried the PVC U channel conduit 3 or 4 inch that I recommended in a previous posting? If you lay it with top of the U side down on a sloped driveway, it won't sag and won't shift while you grind. It makes for a good fast practice grind for rail techniques and if you have to bail-out, it's ground level so it is much lower impact on landings. Great for honing tricks before you take them to the street.

Jul 19, 2006Mart

I went several steps further than that and built a big 'X' shape from two pieces of wood and bought a few lengths of steel scaffold tubing, putting one end of the tubing where the two pieces of wood cross. Proper handrail practice, hurt my wallet quite a bit though

Jul 20, 2006Curtinator

Yeah sap I have a big long pvc pipe I got the idea from alexie whatever that guys name was back in the old sg look. Anyways I tried his Idea and now Ive had this long pvc pipe for about 3 years. And yes it works very good.

Jul 20, 2006SapAuthor

hmm...maybe i can find a way to just split my pipe in half, that way i have 20ft of piping. I just need to find a way to make the piping firmer so I can put it elevated.

Jul 20, 2006AnthoFlex

dude.....if you cut it in half length-wise, thats kinda pointless......it'll just make it weaker...

Jul 20, 2006AnthoFlex

as for elevation, just....ah fuck this....i have a class now i'll be back later on

Jul 20, 2006AnthoFlex

ok back.....as for elevation....i used to use Cynder blocks....If you can put things to keep it from rolling off, then ur good....ummm also, If you find a tall ledge or curb, place it so that it goes into the street and once again, keep it from rolling back and forth- thats the last thing you need to happen... Hope this helps dude :)

Jul 21, 2006SapAuthor

i'ts not getting it up, it's supporting it, cuz the pvc pipe bends bad, it's the downside. I am thinking maybe a batch of quick drying cement...

Jul 21, 2006AnthoFlex

Damn dudes....for ten bucks....im really feeeling this....lol, maybe i'll go get one 2morrow. Just to be sure, PVC pipe is that plastic white pipe right? Do they come in different colors?

Jul 21, 2006Mart

Trev, what would you use the cement for? I can't think of anything aside from filling the pipe with it, and that wouldn't be a good idea because the pressure when you jump on it would cause the cement to crack, and eventually fall out

Jul 21, 2006AnthoFlex

perhaps he is going to cement a base for it so that it won't roll around. Thats what i thought when i first read his post.

Also, Trev, IF you are going o do what MArt thought then you really shouldnt. In addition to it breaking over time, It might make it heavy, which is what you DONT want. Once again, hope this helps... :)

Jul 21, 2006Surfaced

PVC is often grey.

Jul 21, 2006Mart

A heavy rail is fine man, what weight do you think real rails are like? ;)

Jul 22, 2006AnthoFlex

Hmmm good point.....but i thought this was gonna be used as a practice rail.....Cause if it was, TOO MUCH weight might be a problem...He'll have trouble getting it around....Oh well guess not :)

Jul 22, 2006SapAuthor

the cement was kind of a joke. PVC is either grey or a lot of times white (at least in US).

To answer you, Antho, it IS a pain to carry around, unless you want to cut it up and just jump from one to the other. I have found that if you get some bags of seed, or beeds, or anything that is firm but fluid like a bag of seeds would be, you can put the PVC on a slant and use the bags to support it, it works good, just about a 2 supports in the middle for a 10 ft pipe.

Jul 22, 2006SapAuthor

Oh, and i uploaded a vid of me using the PVC, and also the whole bag to support the slant thingy. Sorry about the dorky talking, i plan on uploading these as a short how to for my fans when the soap section comes on.

Here's the link:
http://sonicandpals.buzznet.com/user/video/play/34719/

The link may chance when they put up the official video, just search for solidgrind, it should be the only video with that tag.

Jul 22, 2006Mart

...'fans' again, Trev? And here's me thinking that Pride was one of the seven deadly sins

Jul 22, 2006SapAuthor

What was prideful? I have fans, it's a fact, not bragging. You may have missed it, but i mentioned i'm puting a SOAP section on my web site, and the video talking was for my fans. You know, people that visit my site daily to read my comic? I think someone has fan envy.

Jul 22, 2006Mart

Regardless of whether it's a fact or not, it is bragging to certain degree. Would Derek consider all of us his fans for coming here to read the content here? Great, you have visitors to your site and they like your stuff. You don't have to call them your fans; if I remember correctly, last time we had this discussion you said you'd cool it on the 'fan' thing

And fan envy? Hahaha, that's hilarious. I was in popular gothic rock band until last year (www.karn8.com, they're still going so check them out) and some girl stole my shirt after a gig. She may have been a 'fan' of mine, but I wouldn't go round announcing that at every possible opportunity. It's called 'tact', and as I said last time, calling them your 'fans' all the time comes off as you being incredibly bigheaded, even if you don't intend it to be

Jul 23, 2006SapAuthor

look mart, i know you like creating contraversy, so i'm going to end it right now.

I would like to know if the PVC piping is something you all want to try based on the video.

http://sonicandpals.buzznet.com/user/video/play/34719/

Jul 23, 2006AnthoFlex

Dude......that vid doesnt play...

Jul 23, 2006Soaplover

What's PVC?

Jul 23, 2006Mart

Polyvinyl Chloride. It's a type of plastic which has a wide variety of uses, including PVC piping which is what Trev, and lots of other people before him, uses as a practice rail

Jul 23, 2006Go2Crew

Sorry guys, I just can't resist weighing-in on this one ... the construction business uses ABS, PVC, and CPVC piping for plumbing finish-outs. Any one of these are considered plastic and that is one slick, inexpensive grinding rail for a quick throw-down on the ground. If you want to elevate and you have a choice (e.g. your buying the stuff) get Schedule 80 PVC or CPVC as it is thicker walled, so it will bend less under weight. In the US, Sch 80 PVC is the gray and Sch 80 CPVC is the tan colored pipe. And get a 3-4" OD (outside diameter) size.

Or do the steel pipe and cinder block routine. My recommendation is iron fire sprinkler pipe if you can find it because that's what the original Sputnik and Soap demo rails were, and they took a hell of beating.

Experiment, pick-up a couple of cut-offs somewhere and give it go.

Jul 23, 2006SapAuthor

Hm, how much is this iron fire sprinkler pipe, and how big do you need it (diameter wise)?

Jul 23, 2006Rick

I just finished fabricating a rail out of a galvanized chain link fence post. Cut one of the posts into the supports and welded those on, then welded some galvanized flanges to the bottoms of each one and screwed it down onto 3 small wooden posts. It starts at about 2 1/2 feet and slopes down to about 8 inches. Really can't beat it for a PR.

Jul 24, 2006Mart

Be careful with iron, it rusts like a bitch

Jul 27, 2006SapAuthor

I just remembered that we have a dug out pit in our backyard that will eventually be a pool. Cool thing is, i'ts about 3 ft deep, with a hill off to the side. I put the PVC pipe on the ground by the rim of the pit, and now i can practice jumping up 3 ft onto a rail, and also the hill is slanted enough to get a nice grind ^.^ I have some vid, i'll try to get some time to upload, still uploading a bunch of sonic stuff -.- my poor laptop

Jul 27, 2006Go2Crew

Trevor, check-out in Tampa-St. Pete for Grinell or any of the other Commercial Building Fire Sprinkler dudes for pipe. They usually have salvage pipe that won't pass line pressure ratings anymore and they will sell a length or two for cheap.

For anyone that lives in Texas, oilfield drill pipe makes a great rail too.

18" diameter well casing make a darn good bar-b-que pit/meat smoker, but that's for a different Forum ... yep. :p

Jul 27, 2006SapAuthor

i'll check it out Go2, but when i go there i poor, so i hope cheap is really cheap lol, i'm making do with PVC pipe, a pit, and a hill of mud.

Sep 3, 2006AnthoFlex

I h8 to bring this up now but does anyone know what size of PVC pipe is suitable for BOTH Sole AND Lateral plates?

Sep 3, 2006SapAuthor

Hm...i dunno, all i know is htat going anything lower than 3 inch diameter risks breaking the pipe, at least that is what i was told.

Sep 3, 2006AnthoFlex

Damn, 3 inches sounds like its maaad wide....do ur plates lock in good dude?

Sep 4, 2006Tatacker

Practiced a lot on a 1 inch or .5 inch wide PVC pipe. It's actually quite nice. Now, I need a wider pipe, make a box, and more boxes that connect to each other. It's going to be so hot. :D

Sep 4, 2006SapAuthor

3 inch DIAMETER. It's a circle so you only hit the top part, anything smaller than 3 inch diameter you risk breaking hte pipe because i'ts not strong enough. Trust me, go with 3 inch, i think it will be fine for 50 50 plates.

Sep 4, 2006Mart

Trev, the only PVC you've had is 3", how do you know anything elss will break? The PVC I had was 2" and perfectly fine, stop making out like you're a goddamn expert

Sep 5, 2006SapAuthor

sorry, i was told that if i went anything under 3 inches, it had the chance of breaking, dont want someone buying a pipe that will break. Besides, the point was that even with 3 inch diameter, the sole plate shoudln't have any problem grinding on it.

Sep 5, 2006AnthoFlex

i was thinking of maybe doing this...... Sorry if its a crappy drawing...
http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/AnthoFlex/Soap%20Shoes/pvcplan.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/AnthoFlex/Soap%20Shoes/pvcplan.jpg

I think....AND hope it works.....im planning to use a bit smaller PVC pipe so that the Broadsides Sole plates can grab it....thats what the wood is going to be for, so that it doesnt snap

Sep 6, 2006Tatacker

Probably, make a box like form. It will prevent tip overs of the support if you have too much impact or whatever if you only have two blocks of wood for the support.

Sep 6, 2006Mart

If you have an upside-down V at each end of the supporting beam that will give you much more support without the hassle of building a box

Sep 7, 2006Jard39

could u make a box and just use pvc as an edging

Sep 7, 2006SapAuthor

ehhh..boxes aren't much fun becasue you have to stay at an angle when grinding, if you go stright up and down, your foot can hit rub along hte box and stop you. So you are either risking being stopped, or you are falling backwards (since you are at an angle).

As for the drawing, Mart is right with the upside down V, but may i suggest adding another support in the middle? Even 2x4s bend And hwen making the supports, try to make the width as wide as it is tall, if not wider. That way it's not top heavy and easy to fall over.

Last suggestion, don't drill the PVC pipe to the boards, instead use a screw and nut system, that way you can also replace the PVC pipe if it gets to warn, and if the pipe breaks or something then you can get another without having to hassle and make a whole new thing.

Sep 7, 2006SapAuthor

Antho, do me a favor and measure the lateral plate for your broadsides. Give me width and height and tell me the general shape of it (is it a pure half circle or does it have a middle that's a stright line). I'll punch some numbers and tell you if a 3 inch pipe will work.

Sep 7, 2006AnthoFlex

Thats kinda why i wanted to stay away from a box....i think Mart's got the right idea.

Sep 7, 2006Mart

Dude, I think Antho can work out for himself if your magic 3" pipe is the right side for Broadsides

Sep 7, 2006AnthoFlex

This isnt PVC pipe but i came home from school today and i saw it and i had to have it

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/AnthoFlex/Soap%20Shoes/rail007.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/AnthoFlex/Soap%20Shoes/rail007.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/AnthoFlex/Soap%20Shoes/rail007.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/AnthoFlex/Soap%20Shoes/rail002.jpg

Not exactly the BEST Practice rail but i still intend on doing the PVC Plan....

Sep 7, 2006AnthoFlex

Oh, i forgot to mention, im going to put in support beams on the side to keep it from tipping over.....i took these pics right when i brought the rail up......it seems to be from an old bunk bed......hehe yellow....Cool

Sep 7, 2006AnthoFlex

heres another view.....the top and bottom pic were supposed to the one shown and this one

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/AnthoFlex/Soap%20Shoes/rail002.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">

Sep 7, 2006Go2Crew

Hey guys,
Normally I would recommend Sch80 PVC 3" outside diameter because the wall thickness is about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch instead of about 1/8 inch as in Sch40, but I just checked out the Broadsides plate and you'll need to use 2" od to avoid scraping the sides of the rubber portion of the sole. I'll send you both a photo, FYI.

Sep 7, 2006AnthoFlex

YES! i knew it! I knew 2" wouldve done the trick, THANX STEVE!

Sep 7, 2006AnthoFlex

WHat do you guys think of the rail though?

Sep 8, 2006Tatacker

Did you like, get that for free?

._.!

Sep 8, 2006Go2Crew

Hey Antho, how did you find a bunkbed component in Traffic Marking Yellow? I've only seen them in black, red, or silver like the one in the background. Pretty snazzy!
PS: the painted surface will slick-up the grind, too.

Sep 8, 2006AnthoFlex

I forgot to tell the story...

I was going to skool yesterday when i saw the rail in the yard (more like garbage dump) of my building. I told myself "thats mine after skool".....when i came back....it wasnt there! Turns out when i took Duque (my dog) down for a walk, it was in the dumpster outide my building! Haha....Anywayz, i think it came from a kiddie bunk cause the remaining pieces were all blue, red, and yellow (the part that i took).....The yellow one was the only one that i felt was "SOaping Material" if you know what i mean.....The blue and red were too thin and was the part that holds the top and bottom bunk together.....thats all i guess

Sep 8, 2006AnthoFlex

Yea, the silver one in the back is my bunk bed that i share with my brother....who doesnt Soap by the way

Sep 9, 2006SapAuthor

There's a really good rail outside the campus building, I'm still a little scared to jump up to it, i need to work on it a bit more. -.- Way i figure it's pretty safe though, it's surrrounded by shrubbery.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Ryan Armstrong hittin a Pretty Royale
Chris Wren sliding in front of some nice Junipers
Louis hittin a Frontside
Zach hittin a makio at the Cedar Rapids demo
Herr Blunt hittin a Frontside