Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
rails
Jun 11, 2007 by soaper16

hey, i want to get a rail about 6 or 7 feet to put in my back yard to soap on. does anyone know of any good quality, cheap priced rails? preferably one without kinks.
Replies

Jun 11, 2007Zutsumi

Here's one from www.dickssportinggoods.com , its in the skateboarding section, found it on the "Very nice Soap vid from a SSS member" topic, credits to Megashadow for the link =)

And people say a pvc pipe from your local home depot is good too.

I'm planning on getting the rail from Dicks, I heard its worth the investment.

Jun 11, 2007Locke

I made my own PR, so that's always an option.

Just get about 10 feet of steel pipe, and find something to use for a base (I used wood and put a groove in it to hold the pipe).

I used PVC pipe at first, but it bent on me after a couple days. >_<

Jun 11, 2007AnthoFlex

I know PVC is very cheap, but i hate it. I remember when i first started out i refused to use PVC. I would go to handrails and pushoff. Thats how i got rail balance. Then i leanred how to jump. Now i can hit handrails

Jun 11, 2007AnthoFlex

I always hated PVC for sum reason

Jun 11, 2007RamenRadio

It's not the greatest thing. It's someone okay over here since there are some more spots to be found, but it's getting a little old. I want to try and jump onto something higher now. I can't wait to set up all those rails at Keith's :D

Jun 12, 2007soaper16

i prefer the round rails to the square ones. if i were to build a rail out of round pvr or round steel tube, where would i start? does anyone have any pics of their homebuilt rails?

Jun 12, 2007soaper16

PVC i mean

Jun 12, 2007AnthoFlex

Look for the "Check out this kink i made" thread. Thats a kinked rail i made from scratch

Jun 12, 2007RamenRadio

that things sick, but I can't wait for you to paint that up. :D

Jun 12, 2007AnthoFlex

I think imma throw that stupid thing out. I tried painting it, but i forgot to scrape the wax off, so the paint slid off

Jun 12, 2007AnthoFlex

so frustrating

Jun 12, 2007RamenRadio

woa woa woa man! Don't do that...

Jun 13, 2007Megashadow77

Yeah, for real, that rail looked sick!

Jun 13, 2007AnthoFlex

You guys want it?

Jun 13, 2007RamenRadio

That'd be sick! :D Yeah man, sounds cool to me! I bet Keith's dad might have some paint or something man

Jun 13, 2007Megashadow77

Use glossy paint, it comes out smoother and easier to do stuff on.

Jun 13, 2007Megashadow77

and by do stuff, i mean grind.

Jun 13, 2007SapAuthor

I have a pic of my homemade PVC pipe rail. It works really well but took a loooong time to build.

ftp://ftp.sonicandpals.com/public_html/images/myrail.JPG

what i did was i first put looong nails into that big board, then hammer the PVC pipe onto it making marks where the nails went (it was to hard to hammer the PVC pipe into the nails). Then I took another nail, and hammered it through where all the marks were, and finally pressed the PVC pipe down onto the board with nails. THen i just nailed together the rest of it.

It works well, i have 3 inch diameter, but 2 is better I hear. Steel has a better feel and grind, but PVC isn't as bad as everyone says for beginners, just needs a LOT of support
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Ryan Dawes hittin a Frontside on a big ol kinked rail.
Jordan hittin a Fakie Freestyle Backslide
Casey Faris hittin a Nugen
Loren Dallabetta hittin a Royale
Jeremy Koch hittin a Frontside