Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
External Links on the Wiki Page
May 12, 2007 by Surfaced

This has been a little issue for a few months now, and I wish to solve it here and now before it evolves into something worse.

I try to maintain the Soap shoes Wikipedia page, as well as the HSL page and sometimes the Heelys page. I overwatch edits from SG members and everyone else, including those wretched Wikibots who edit and suspend accounts whose users say otherwise. Recently people have been adding questionable links to the External Links section that lead to specific Soap shops, namely the SSS store.

It was something of a dilemma for me at first, however after looking over some of the Wikipedia guidelines, such links are not allowed.

Maybe some of you are wondering "why the hell is that?" Well, it wasn't always like this, actually. For a while I let the SaP link stay, because hell, it was the only place you could buy fresh Soap shoes. That is no longer true because of RollerWarehouse and Gotswag.

Including links to online stores is a violation alone, however, including a link to one store versus another is also sales diversion. Wikipedia is not for telling others how to acquire Soap shoes, and certainly not for advertising.

I'd like all of you to consider this in the future, prior to editing the Soap Wikipedia page, or any other Wikipedia page for that matter. If theres something you believe should be included but are not completely sure of its legality, you can just tell us about it on the Discussion page for the article. That's where Wikipedians are supposed to debate and collaborate. Not through edit wars.

Thanks
Replies

May 12, 2007Surfaced

Also, MySpace links on Wikipedia go both ways. Recently, a Wikipedian requires approval by an administrator to include a MySpace link. Fortunately we were able to get clearance, so that link should be there to stay. Plus there is a flash version of the SaP store there, so there's really no need for that additional link. Infact thats a bit of a loophole, since users can still be redirected from the Wiki page to that store. Ha.

May 13, 2007Mart

Good work man, it's nice to see someone's keeping on top of things and maintaining those pages

May 14, 2007AnthoFlex

werd

May 14, 2007SapAuthor

Sorry, the SSS shop was my doing lol. I have a tendency to not read rules ^.^' Thanks though.

May 14, 2007AnthoFlex

it was also mine, haha
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Tal Zeltzer hittin a Grinding a tall handrail
Zach Larson hittin a Royale
Tanner Gregory hittin a Frontside
Jordan Muck hittin a Backslide at Canton
Derek Brooks hittin a Alley-opp Mizuo on the new Broadsides