Login (sign up)
Username Password

Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts
Tips for newbies
Apr 21, 2007 by Joshua3109

ok this is (hopefully) going to be a topic were newbies like me can go to get tips and advice from the pro's(you guys). So I'll ask for some advice. What do you guys think I should do to work my way up to those bigger rails. Like I have one set up but when I get out into the field i find it too difficult to get onto the rails and other things out there.Tips please :)
Replies

Apr 21, 2007ChaosControler

What do you think I should start grinding on?

Apr 21, 2007ChaosControler

What do you think I should start grinding on?

Apr 21, 2007Mart

Try out some benches and curbs to start out with; once you're comfortable with that you should find something to make a practice rail out of (PVC piping is fine, metal is better) then work your way up to doing low rails, handicap rails and eventually vert/stair sets

Apr 22, 2007Joshua3109

Any tips for keeping balance on rails? I was trying to grind a waist high rail earlier and I could do it but not for long before id lose my balance and have to jump off.

Apr 22, 2007AnthoFlex

Bending your knees helps a bit. Also haveing your arms out on the sides too

Apr 22, 2007Joshua3109

O, ok thanks.

Apr 22, 2007Tasslehoff

Heres a REALLY good tip. DONT FALL ON THE SAME HAND REPEATEDLY!!! damn that hurts. *whimper* I think I sprained it.

Apr 23, 2007Mart

Balance isn't something you can get tips on, you just have to learn it. Exactly the same principle as learning to ride a bike; it takes time, but you'll get it eventually

Apr 23, 2007Joshua3109

o ok. haha i thought so but it was worth a try.

Apr 23, 2007SapAuthor

Here's a tip for balance. At least for me, a lot of times I don't commit. Meaning i won't lean forward enough. It's tough becuase you fear that you'll overshoot. For jumping up, i find the best way is to actually try to be nearly straight above before i make contact, instead of making contact on the way up.

Apr 23, 2007Mart

One way to test out if you'll be able to stick a grind on a rail is to try and jump over. If you can do that and tap the rail with one of your plates, you should have no trouble in getting on top of it and riding it out

Apr 23, 2007xJeremiahx

Good advice^^
I tried my first waist high rail on saturday. My back foot came about 1/2 inch to low and I kicked the rail causing me to fall on top of the rail on my back shin. Not to fun. I walked it off for a few minutes and went back to grind the 15' rail. Not to bad.

Apr 23, 2007SonicSoaper

I was working on hip height rails and higher at m cousin's old middle school quite a few weeks back. It was definately a learning experience.

Apr 24, 2007SapAuthor

If it helps, for beginning, wear shin gaurds if you have them, or padding. I did that when i started learning, because i always missed with back foot and tore up my shins. Try doing it 3 times hard in a row, you'll be near tears. Ouch.
Login or sign up to reply
Username
Password
Daylon Smith with a frontside in Iowa City
Darren McCall hittin a Phat royale
LixF hittin a fresh track grind
Casey Faris hittin a Nugen
Derek Brooks hittin a Frontside